Within the V-MOVE program, CINECA Supercomputing Center in Bologna (Italy) is offering a position for an intern in the field of Cloud-based remote visualisation, Web-based large-scale visualisation and Digital Asset Management. Interested researchers and professionals may apply through the Call4Mobility.
Name of the hosting institution: CINECA
Link: http://www.cineca.it/en; http://www.cineca.it/en/progetti/genus-bononiae-museums-city-3d-movie
Brief description of the unit hosting the internship:
CINECA is a consortium of Italian universities and public research bodies, providing ICT and HPC services to the national scientific communities. Our facilities host the largest High-performance Computing (HPC) installations in Italy with various architectures.
The Visualization LAB in the SCAI SuperComputing Applications and Innovation Department has been involved in scientific visualization and Cultural Heritage projects regarding immersive systems, VR, Remote and Web visualization. CINECA is providing data and computing services for the V-Must platform.
Max number of internships/year: 2
Areas of host institution’s expertise for internship proposals:
- Digital Asset Management for medium-scale projects (platform services, render farm integration, groupware collaboration tools, modelling pipeline integration, especially Blender)
- 3D digital format management tools
- Cloud-based remote visualization services
- Web-based, large-scale visualization
- Deployment of cloud-based services for Cultural Heritage.
Development of V-MUST on line portal and services aimed at the development, sharing and storage of virtual museums.
One or more of the following:
- ICT Service development skills (Python, PHP, Java, C++ programming)
- 3D modelling tools knowledge (Blender)
- OpenGL, Computer graphics knowledge
- Mobile application development
- HPC experience
January 2014 – December 2014
12 - 24 weeks
If requested in advance there is the possibilty to host intern in shared flats (limited number).
Facilities and Supervision:
Access to HPC environment (512 nodes GPU enabled facility), dev workstation, Various dev environment, Virtual theatre (a semi immersive VR installation), Available training on HPC systems, Python scripting, Blender.